Friday, January 21, 2011

James 1 : 7-11

7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
 9 Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. 10 But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower. 11 For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.


Observations  


These verses are related to the ones previous, when we ask for God's help we need to trust that we will receive it while we are going through our trials. That we will be patient and enduring and to accept it otherwise we won't receive anything.
I read this in Matthew Henry's commentary :
"A mind that has single and prevailing regard to its spiritual and eternal interest, and that keeps steady in its purposes for God, will grow wise by afflictions, will continue fervent in devotion, and rise above trials and oppositions."

Application
We are to look to the long term benefits of the trial and the difficult times. In our trials we have God's grace and this makes us rich.  Our afflictions are what makes us stronger. 
I know personally when I go through something difficult, that afterwards it helps me relate better to others and help them through their trials. It makes me a stronger person, knowing that God is the ONLY person who is in control of EVERY single detail of my life. I can choose to have Joy and keep my Joy that comes from a personal relations ship from Him or I can choose bitterness and  anger, which long term does not have any good benefits, it just makes me a sad and angry person and I also miss out in the blessing of relationship with God. I also desire to cling to God to help me through the storm. To cling to Him and not waver! Being humble in our circumstances is what makes us rich and blessed.

No comments: